Or, rather, how to be artfully late.
I’m not someone who makes a habit of being late. In fact, it drives me crazy when I do end up late! However, sometimes even I have those mornings when I press the snooze button once and then somehow don’t wake up again until 20 minutes before I need to leave. But even though I’m usually just waking up to go to work and sit in my little corner with the same 8 people I spend every (week)day with, I still like to arrive looking good. I find that it’s better to be 10 minutes late in the morning and feel put-together than it is to spend all day feeling frazzled.
So with that in mind, here are a few tips for dressing for success…quickly.
- Choose solid colors. I find picking a dress in a neutral color to be easiest, and then spicing it up with a bright sweater or blazer. Instant outfit!
- Choose a bold lipstick in a complementary colour. Lipstick is the quickest and easiest way to provide a finishing touch that pops. In fact, it’s so easy that you can even apply it as you’re walking out the door.
- Throw on some mascara for balance, but skip the eyeliner and shadow. You don’t have the time to do them right, and you don’t want to show up looking like you scribbled it on in the dark.
- Leave your hair down. The quick ponytail is always an option, but few mists of sea salt spray and fist scrunches create messy waves that look intentional—a perfectly simple disguise for bed-head.
- Slip into some comfy flats. No time for shoelaces and heels will just slow you down.
And voilà! Not too shabby for 20 minutes.